Rosh Hashanah Apple Salad
Pumpkin pie spice vinaigrette
Recipe by Shifra Klein
This salad truly delivers all of the elements that an excellent salad is known for: sweet, savory, crispy, and crunchy, while simultaneously bringing the flavors of the Jewish New Year onto a plate. Showcasing the salad on a platter versus tossed in a bowl allows all of the ingredients to shine.
Peeling the outer layer of the celery completely transforms this underrated vegetable. By removing the fibrous outer layer, you are left with a refreshing crunchy bite.
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 Fuji or Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds, for garnish
Combine arugula, apples, celery, and red onion on a serving platter. Top with pumpkin seeds. Whisk together lemon juice, oil, honey, Dijon mustard, pumpkin pie spice, and salt, and drizzle over the salad. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Tip: Mason jars are the perfect vessel for preparing and storing homemade salad dressings. Combine ingredients, cover with a lid, and shake.
Apple Honey Cake
Recipe by Shifra Klein
I love this recipe because it’s super-easy to prepare. All you need is a bowl and a mixing spoon. Almost anyone can make this cake, guaranteed. It’s a great recipe for kids, or anyone who is intimidated by baking.
Nonstick cooking spray, such as PAM
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon boiling hot water
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup cubed or shredded apples (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 10-inch loaf pan or 9-x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, juice, eggs, honey, vanilla, and coffee.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda,s and spices.
- Combine the baking soda and spices with the flour and then stir the flour into the batter until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for forty minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.