As we head towards the days of judgement, we embark on the serious task of examining our lives and doing teshuvah for any wrongs we have committed throughout the year. Nevertheless, Rosh HaShanah is always filled with hope for the New Year, because Hashem is compassionate, forgiving, and willing to accept our prayers and repentance.
At the beginning of the Rosh HaShanah meal, we dip our sweet apples (representing Gan Eden) in honey, which signifies that the New Year should be sweet. The combination of these two foods provides us with a double dose of sweetness. We beseech Hashem, “May it be Your will to inscribe us for a good and sweet New Year.”
Honey is a product which contains the necessary ingredients to keep you healthy. It is rich in vitamins, enzymes, and minerals. Besides for being a delicious and nutritious sweetening agent, it can work miracles for your skin, since it contains antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, it can hydrate your skin. Read on to discover ten ways you can enhance your skin after Rosh HaShanah, by using your leftover honey.
- Acne - To fight acne and reduce redness you can combine 1 tablespoon of honey, which has anti-inflammatory properties, with half a teaspoon of cinnamon, which also has anti-bacterial properties. Apply this mixture wherever you have acne and wash off after 10 minutes.
- Hydrating Hair Mask - Because of its moisturizing properties, honey is an ideal way to restore moisture to dry and damaged hair. To make a repairing mask, mix two parts honey and two parts olive oil. Then apply it to damp hair and wrap into a bun. Shampoo it out after 30 minutes and you will notice smooth and conditioned hair with a beautiful shine.
- Dry Lips - Honey is a great humectant, which has the power to moisturize and heal dry, chapped lips. Dab some honey right onto your lips to hydrate and restore lost moisture.
- Facial cleanser/exfoliant - The enzymes in honey have the ability to cleanse and rejuvenate the skin. To make an all-natural facial cleanser/exfoliant, mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal, which is a natural way to exfoliate your skin. After you have removed your makeup, massage this onto your skin for a few minutes and you will be left with a healthy glowing complexion.
- Face Mask- For another simple face mask with tons of benefits, all you need is honey. It’s loaded with nutrients and enzymes that help clarify the skin and keep it hydrated by retaining moisture. It also promotes healing, lightens acne scars, and leaves you with a beautiful glow. Let this mask sit for 20 minutes before rinsing off.
- Smooth Cracked Cuticles - Because of honey›s humectant properties, it attracts and seals moisture, which will help hydrate giant cuticles.
- Soften Rough Patches - To smooth out dry knees and elbows, mix one cup of brown sugar, half a cup of olive oil and tablespoons of honey. You’ll notice that the skin will appear softer after you rinse off the mixture.
- Healthy Skin - Eat a spoonful of honey a day; it’s packed with anti-oxidants, minerals, and B vitamins, which are essential for healthy-looking skin.
- Hair Removal - This waxing method has been around for centuries and is safe, natural, and less painful than professional waxing. To create a homemade wax, you will need to bring the following mixture to a boil: 1 tablespoon of honey, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. When the mixture boils, it creates a sugar wax. Allow the mixture to cool down for about 20 minutes and always test before applying to prevent burns. When the mixture cools down, spread onto any skin with hair. Use a cotton strip to pull in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Calm Eczema - When you have an eczema flare up, you can calm your skin down by applying raw honey for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to sit in a spot that you won’t stick to. This works as a natural inflammatory for your skin.
Wishing everyone a k’sivah v’chasimah tovah, a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year filled with besuros tovos.
Risselle Naimark is a Professional Freelance Makeup Artist and Skincare Consultant. She carries an extensive line of personalized skincare, cosmetics, and anti-aging products. Risselle is also available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, makeup lessons, and all of your beauty needs. She can be reached at 718 263-5517.