This past week marked the beginning of spring, and we are all looking forward to a beautiful and joyous Pesach, which begins with a 3-day Yom Tov, translating into preparing six meals back to back. For women, this is probably one of the most hectic seasons of all. Between working, cleaning, shopping, cooking, dealing with homework, and taking care of family demands, there isn’t much personal time left for meeting our own needs, and so the dedicated women behind the scenes usually run out of time.
Despite the fact that beauty routines may seem frivolous this time of year, “vanity thy name is woman!” The house looks great, the table is elegantly set, and now is the time to put your best face forward as well. Although Shabbos makeup does exist, the laws of application are somewhat complicated. It is therefore better to carve out some extra time on Erev Yom Tov, allowing you to not to feel rushed and to insure you look and feel your best too.
The following ten tips are designed to create makeup longevity and simplify your application steps. Be sure to leave yourself some extra time, so you won’t be on the last burner.
- Exfoliate your skin by using a scrub or mask on Erev Yom Tov. This will help remove your dry and dead skin cells, which can make your skin look dull and even break out. You will also be allowing your moisturizer to penetrate deeper cellular levels.
- Moisturize your skin more than usual on Erev Yom Tov, preferably with a product that contains an SPF, so it won’t look or and feel dehydrated over the next couple of days. In addition, you will be protected from the sun if you take an afternoon walk.
- Apply a face primer (preferably with an SPF) and an eye primer to help lock in your foundation and eye makeup. This will also help your makeup go on smoother, and help your pores look better.
- Apply a cream foundation (with an SPF) and a concealer. Creme products are more opaque and always outlast liquids, which tend to be sheerer.
- Apply a cream blush onto your cheekbones with your fingertips. This will serve as the first blush to be applied. Now is the time to set all your creme products with some translucent powder., which can be applied with a round or square sponge. This method will help the foundation last longer than the brush method.
- Apply a powder blush on top of the cheekbones after the translucent powder. This is now your second layer of blush and will give you a healthy glow.
- Apply eye shadows heavily with a wand instead of a brush, since they will last longer. You can then use your brush to seamlessly blend them. Please note that metallicshadows outlast mattes, as the shimmery particles adhere better to the skin.
- Line your upper eyelids with a waterproof gel liner in a dark color, which usually stays put until you wash it off. Besides, the layer of powder from the eye shadow underneath will help keep it in place. You need not bother using bottom eyeliner, as it will probably smear or run over the course of two days.
- Moisturize your lips well with a VitaminE stick or other lip balm, since chapped lips are not a pretty sight, no matter what lipstick color you wear. If you have full lips and are content with color only on your cheeks or eyes, you can skip this step, since it probably won›t fully last for two days. Please note that chicken soup and any other oily food will break down even long-lasting formulas.
If lipstick is a must for you, then use a quality lip sealer, such as Lipchic. If you don’t have one, you can line your lips and fully fill them in. Then apply your lipstick and blot well. Now, place a one-ply tissue on the lips and apply loose powder onto the lips through the tissue. Reapply the lipstick, and blot again. This will also set the lipstick and matte it down. If you want lipstick to endure, do not apply gloss over the lipstick, as the oils will break it down and defeat the purpose. Instead, you can use a silicone-based gloss designed for long last.
- Last but not least, invest in a silk or satin pillowcase to sleep on. This also helps makeup endure and prevents wrinkles, especially since you won’t be allowed to use a moisturizer for three days.
What really gives makeup its longevity is the process of light layering; the more the merrier. Plan in advance to schedule yourself some well-deserved extra time to get ready on Erev Yom Tov, in order to look beautiful and put your best face forward.
Wishing everyone a Chag Kosher V’sameach!
Risselle Naimark is a Professional Freelance Makeup Artist and Skincare Consultant. She carries an extensive line of personalized skincare, cosmetics, and anti-aging products. Risselle is also available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, makeup lessons, and all of your beauty needs. She can be reached at 718 263-5517.